Hold On to Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More than Peers
Dr. Gordon Neufeld
Dr. Gordon Neufeld is a developmental psychologist, a foremost authority on child development, an international speaker, and a bestselling author (Hold On To Your Kids). He has a widespread reputation for making sense of complex problems and for opening doors for change.
His Neufeld Institute is now a world-wide charitable organization devoted to applying developmental science to the task of raising children. Dr. Neufeld appears regularly on major national radio and television. He is a father of five and a grandfather to five.
Three of the main points:
- What the most important thing is in parenting children well.
- Why we have to be careful not to let peers replace us in importance in our children’s lives.
- Why ultimately, the solution is not near as hard as continuing to live, and parent, the way most parents are nowadays.
The interview points to the overall direction that we have to go in to regain the natural power to parent that for centuries, we could count on. It’s packed full of helpful concepts that will help you with the paradigm shift you need to have in order to avoid the traps of modern parenting. We also discuss some specific tips that you can apply right away.
Other Recommended Resources:
I highly recommend you read Dr. Neufeld’s book, Hold on to Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More than Peers.
Related webinars and video interviews:
1. Biting, Hitting, and Aggression: How Children Can Heal When They’ve Hurt One Another ~ video interview with Patty Wipfler
2. Motivation: The Surprising Truth about What Motivates Us ~ video interview with Dan Pink
3. What the Latest Science Tells Us About How to Raise the Most Successful, Happy and Resilient Children and Teenagers ~ video interview with Dr. Dan Seigel
4. Why Trying To Be Perfect Hurts Your Kids ~ video interview with Jacqueline Green
Not only is Dr. Gordon Neufeld one of the foremost parenting experts in the world, but he also is the single most influential educator in my work, and that of many of the great experts who I have on the show. He helps us to make sense of our children, so that we can see the route to resolving whatever parenting issues we have. Although in the short-term, his recommendation are less directive and so seem harder, in the long term, they will restore not only your intuition about what to do in the moment, but the power to parent that you used to be able to count on.
I highly recommend you listen to this interview, and the ones I recommended above, again and again! And join our GPS community if you haven’t already, to get more information.
SPREAD THE WORD:
To share via Social Media:
Please feel free to share this replay with your friends and family! Simply click on the appropriate button below to share through Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, or via email.
To share your comments on our Facebook app below:
To see the latest comments first, click on the down arrow beside the comment count and select the “newest” option, instead of “oldest”.
To share directly with me, or for assistance:
Write to Ed, our amazing tech and support guy, at firstname.lastname@example.org